Field Fresh Foods Drastically Reduces Operating Costs by Installing Carlisle Controls & EC Motor

May 9, 2020 | News & Updates

Learn How You Can Save 10-30% on Your Businesses' Energy Consumption.

Established in 1994, Field Fresh Foods serves the Southern California market and operates locally out of Gardena, California. They provide service, distribution and manufacturing with a business model that is based around product freshness rather than shelf-life.

The Field Fresh Foods facility covers an area of ~3.5 acres containing about 70,550 square foot (SF) of refrigerated warehouse and approximately 10,000 SF of office/mechanical and maintenance area. The refrigerated warehouse areas are broken up into many smaller areas, each cooled by one or two small compressor/condenser units and multiple evaporator units. The evaporator fans vary in size from ¼ HP to ¾ HP each and the quantity of fans per evaporator unit varies from 2 to 5. These fans run continuously, even when the condenser unit is satisfied and shuts down.


Running evaporator fan motors 24/7 for 365 days a year results in huge energy bills for companies. Energy costs have skyrocketed in the last several years, and are expected to increase 40% over the next 5 years. To keep operating costs down, clients like Field Fresh Foods are always looking for innovative new ways to reduce energy usage at their facilities.


Carlisle Energy worked with Edison to prepare a savings analysis and found that by retrofitting (25) evaporator coils at their facility with Carlisle Controllers and (98) EC Motors ranging from ¼ HP to ¾ HP. Field Fresh Foods will save approximately $496,443.00 in the next five years. Southern California Edison’s incentive of $37,194.00 for our Carlisle Controllers and EC Motors allowed this project to have an ROI of less than 14 months.


Carlisle ECM Controllers function by sensing the operational status of the cooling system and controlling the speed of the evaporator fans. By operating the fans at a low speed when no cooling is called for, the fans circulate about 40% as much as normal and use only 10% as much energy without impacting cooling requirements. The addition of either the Carlisle Single or 3-Phase motor controller to an evaporator will increase energy savings by approximately 50% over what EC motors alone will provide.

For more information on Carlisle Electronically Commuted (EC) Motors and Controllers and how Carlisle Energy can save you money, please contact us directly at (714) 684-1766.

Recent Posts

Carlisle Energy Solutions’ Success Stories

Introduction: In the ever-evolving landscape of cold storage efficiency, Carlisle Energy Solutions emerges as a powerhouse, reshaping the industry by not only achieving significant energy savings but fundamentally transforming operational paradigms for businesses...

Cold Storage and Climate Change

Introduction: In recent years, the impact of climate change has become more evident than ever, affecting industries and businesses worldwide. The cold storage industry is no exception to climate change, as rising temperatures and changing environmental conditions...

Evaluating ROI for Cold Storage Equipment Upgrades

Introduction: In today's competitive business landscape, Evaluating ROI for Cold Storage Equipment Upgrades is a priority for cold storage warehouse operators. Upgrading equipment is a smart investment that not only reduces energy consumption but also enhances...

Growing Demand for Online Grocery Shopping

Introduction In today's digital age, the way we shop for groceries has undergone a significant transformation. The convenience of ordering groceries online has fueled a surge in e-commerce, creating a substantial impact on the cold storage industry. As the demand for...

Unique Challenges Cold Storage Warehouses Must Overcome

Introduction Cold storage warehouses face unique challenges that require comprehensive knowledge, strategic planning, and innovative solutions to ensure seamless operations while adhering to strict temperature and safety requirements. In this blog post, we explore the...

How Energy-Efficient Cooling Systems Can Boost Your Bottom Line

Introduction In today's world, where sustainability and cost-efficiency are paramount for businesses, energy-efficient solutions have become a focal point. For cold storage facilities dealing with perishable goods like produce, meat, seafood, and dairy, an efficient...